Earlier this week, Joanne Schnurr from CTV Ottawa contacted me asking about great lunch deals around Ottawa, preferably places where she could get lunch for under $3. UNDER $3, now that IS a cheap lunch.
Unfortunately we weren’t available to go on a cheap lunch adventure with her, but Joanne profiled 3 places last night where you can get lunch for around $3.
- Helen's Cuisine - 1082 Wellington (pg. 55 of CheapEats Ottawa)- tucked in the back of a convenience store with seating in the front near the window, Helen cooks up great Middle Eastern lunches like you'd get from a home kitchen. Soups are the best deal with a large being $2.25. Vegetarian options are generally the best deal. (pg. 55)
- Parti Pizza - 267 Greenbank (pg.77) has a $3.25 slice + pop lunch. Quick, good & easy. Great price.
- and Saint Honore Bakery Shop - 361 Booth Street - a Chinese bakery on Booth – where they have a selection of stuffed Chinese buns including 99¢ BBQ pork buns, 99¢ chili buns and 75¢ pinapple buns. We’ll definitely be checking it out for the next edition of the book.
Here is are the other places which came to mind immediately, some under $3 all under $6 (the prices may be slightly off since I haven't checked them recently)
- Aladdin Convienience at 1801 Carling & 1020 St. Laurent (pg 27 of CheapEats Ottawa) They have pizza-like meat pies, spinach & cheese pies and zathar (thyme & herb pies) - running $1-3 each. Tasty savoury treats.
- Olga's Delights - 588 Bank Street (pg. 74) – home-style soups, chili and sandwiches that will fill you up with goodness. Medium soup or chili for $3.50 last time I checked.
- Slots Racetrack - 4837 Albion Road (pg. 90)- if you get a free membership card you can get in on the $5 lunch specials, and the $1.99 breakfast specials.
- La P'tite Epicerie du Quartier - 158 rue Notre-Dame-de-l'ile in Hull (pg. 62) - $3.99+ for a great selection of deli sandwiches.
- La Cabana - 848-B Merivale (pg. 61)- where you can get 2 pupusas for $4 ($2/each minimum 2). If you get them to go, you can share.
- @klwatts: What about a sandwich at DiRienzos!
- ceot: @klwatts Excellent point! I forgot DiRienzos sandwiches were so very cheap - amazing but cheap! $3.50+ I get the Alex Diavolo, you?
- klwatts: @ceot #14 with eggplant and sundried tomatoes!
- kaitli: @ceot under $4 for lunch: German Town Deli.
- kaitli: @ceot German Town Deli @ slater: sandwiches 1.50-2, soup 2.25, drinks 1, sweets 1.50, potato salad 1.5... $4= a good combo :-)
- spiche: @ceot I LOVE the German Town Deli! Best ham sandwiches in the WORLD!!!! I have been going there for 17 years! That place is awesome!!
I'm still looking for place that has good Banh Mi - Vietnamese Subs served on baguette and filled with sliced meats, pate, a fresh pickle of daikon & carrot, cilantro, and a little whip of mayo.. and generally under $3 each. (The problem here is that the one I knew of in Ottawa has closed)
Unfortunately I can’t embed Joanne’s segment here, it includes some great footage of the foo, but you can click through to watch it on CTV Ottawa: Joanne Schnurr on cheap eats in Ottawa (when did it stop being CJOH?)